Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Where Do I Stand with God

A few days ago, a lady we are teaching choose to be baptized!  As we were making all the arrangements for her baptism, she asked me to be the one to baptize her.  Not being able to hold back a grin from ear to ear I said, "I would love too!"   It still amazes me how much joy sharing the Gospel brings!

About an hour before the baptism we were busily setting up chairs, filling the baptism font, and just doing the finishing touches.  I was a little nervous, but at the same time so excited to see, a friend, make this step of faith which will change her life.

We started out by singing How Great Thou Art, which brought the spirit into the room real strong.  Continuing on with a prayer, and two talks. I was on the edge of my seat anxiously awaiting to perform the baptism.  The time was finally here!

We walked down into the water.  She had a light  or glow to her countenance.  She is a daughter of God, prepared, and ready  to make this commitment with God.  My mind cleared, and I was filled with a sense of peace,  offering the baptism prayer  , and then immersing her under the water.  Pulling her back up, she came out of the water smiling, radiating peace and happiness.

As I was in the dressing room changing out of my wet clothes, I thought how awesome was that!  She just made a life changing choice.  All the past transgressions were washed away, having a clean slate.  In return she promise to walk in life God would want us to.

Then a thought crossed my mind.....where do I stand with God?  I had made the exact same promise with God several years ago, and how was I holding up my half of the promise?  Was I living the life God would want me to be?  I didn't realize baptizing someone else would be a growing process for me.  I thought about things I could do better, or just differently to bring me closer to God.  As I reflected my life, I knew I was not perfect, and have had my ups and downs, but the Spirit soon reminded me that's ok, that is why we have the Gospel, to grow and improve.

After my experience of examining my promise to God, I would encourage all to do so.  Look at the shortcomings, but not forgetting your successes.  See what changes could bring you closer to God, then trust in God, and with His help make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment