Friday, December 31, 2010

What is a Hero?

I have always been grateful to the heroes in my life.  I would like to first state the definition of a hero.  A hero is: a man/woman of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his/her brave deeds and noble qualities.  The heroes that have left the greatest impression on me are without a doubt women, God's precious daughters.  I am eternally grateful for the women I have met in my life that can have a smile on their face through the most difficult of times.  I think about the heroes I have met in my life that have taught me the power of trusting in the Savior.  I want to give a few examples that have been the most touching to me.

I remember when I was in high school my mother had a heart attack and she was placed in the hospital for a while.  There were many friends and family who had supported us through that time of constantly visiting the hospital and going to and from school and work.  I am filled with gratitude at the sacrifice and love that was shown to us by my mother's sister and niece.  They were with us every step of the way helping us to feel reassured and showing by their faith that everything was going to be okay and making it easier for life to go on.  I will always remember the seemingly countless words of strength and smiles that they shared for us.  Now everything is great for our family.  I know that it was because of the great strength and endless service that my aunt and cousin gave us in our time of need.

At the beginning of my mission in Vacaville there was a family who we grew close with.  They were a couple who were at home alone because their kids were grown up and moved out of the house.  I remember when my companion and I visited them, the husband had not come home yet and his wife told us about a major trial of illness that had come to him.  I will never forget the smile that she kept on her face as she was asking for us to give him a priesthood blessing and being completely optimistic despite the bad news that they received.  Everything turned out well for them and the memory of her smile through the rough time has helped me get through so much.

The last example is our mission mother.  Our mission president and his wife are incredible examples of believers of Jesus Christ and his gospel.  This past summer Sister Bunker, our mission president's wife, was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I remember seeing in her eyes the strength of Jesus Christ to sustain her through this trial.  I do not understand what it would be like to go through this while serving a mission and raising a family.  I do not understand how, but through it all she still smiles and it brings me incomprehensible humility and strength and I am so grateful for her example. 

I have a testimony that Jesus Christ lives and he is the Son of God.  I have witnessed my testimony grow through those experiences because of the women in my life.  Men and women are both so precious in the sight of God, but it is our heavenly father's precious daughters who have inspired me to get through my microscopic sorrows.  I want to thank all of the women of the world that give strength to others by being strong and showing faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. 

Written by Elder Hinton

No comments:

Post a Comment