Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Bearing His Name"

Missionaries always roll in two's so I'm letting Elder Webber share a Christmas message with you!

What a most joyous and wonderful time of the year! Christmas is right around the corner. I can barely  wait to open presents and chat with my family back home. This Christmas season has been a little different. As a full time servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, I can't help but to ponder every day about the Savior's birth.

Recently Elder Bankhead and I made a trip to the Post Office to mail a couple things for the holidays. An older gentleman walked up to me and said: "It's good to see a "brotha" in a nice suit and tie with his pants pulled up." He then walked off as I nodded and gave him a look that showed I at least acknowledged what he said. Later on we were biking down Marshall Rd. and a pastor on the sidewalk dressed in casual clothes striked a conversation with us. He pointed out our dress appearance and told us that Jesus wore drabby clothes, not a suit and tie. He then finally went on his way. But those two experiences got me thinking a little bit. Why do we dress business like? And who do we really represent? I compared our representation of the Savior to that of a business employee. This is what I came up with:

Our name tags bear the name of Jesus Christ instead of a company. Our title is "Elder " instead of a company position. We have been called of God and set apart through His divine power. It doesn't matter what our shortcomings or talents may be. We are all qualified by Him to do the "job". There is no competition and no salary; and of course there are no vacations!

In the Bible Isaiah foretells of Mary, who shall bear a son. Of course Mary was a virtuous woman, and she was chosen to bear Him. But what can we do to bear His Name this Christmas season? And how can we show by our outward appearance that we are His?

Well I don't know all the answers, but I do know it is a choice we must make: "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you...For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matt. 11:28-30). To many times people think you can 'Have it your Way.' That may be true for a time. But soon or later everyone finds out there's a better way than just living off a slogan from Burger King. We can find true happiness and joy through the Lord's way. But we must be willing to bear His Name. In the Book of Mormon a prophet learns from God this simple lesson: "Yea, blessed is this people who are willing to bear my name; for in my name shall they be called; and they are mine."
Everyday I wake up and slip on my black name tag with two names: who I am- and who I want to become like. How much more do we need to bear His Name in our hearts this season. God bless and have a Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Elder Webber. It is always good to dress for success. And think, how would the Lord dress today if he were here full time and running the affairs of the church himself. If I don't know the answer to that, I look at who he chose to do it in his place and follow him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet post, Elder Webber is the man. Thanks for letting him write this one, he wrote some great things and even answered some of the questions that I had myself. I love being reminded that we as missionaries represent Christs church here on the earth. Knowing that makes me want to just work that much harder. I love this work and this gospel. Its real, its true. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete